Tuesday, July 12, 2011

When I Grow Up

Hey CyrZZle,


When I was a little girl I had a dream of what I wanted to grown up and be.  Not a teacher, not a vet, and not a fireman.  I wanted to be a Country Music Video Girl or CMVG!


The music video girls were all SO pretty and the guys singing about them were SO in love and I've always been a fan of the melodrama.  As I studied from home in front of the mirror the different looks required by a CMVG, you know, pout, angry, slow laughing while spinning and throwing my hair back(that one’s tough). 

 Somewhere along the way I became a little more of a feminist and I realized, why be a CMVG when I could be a country singer?!  I had a cassette tape of Pam Tillis and I would put on my dad’s big leather jacket, role the sleeves up to my elbows (per the style) and stand out by the road singing my lungs out hoping a music producer would drive by, hear my voice, and “discover me.”  



A producer never did screech to a halt while driving past my home which, as you know, was in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road.  But I haven’t given up.  Now that I’m in NYC I think I should start again.  This city is teaming with music producers looking for their next big hit, Right?  And I've just bought a big leather jacket.
Above is my FAVORITE Pam Tillis song and video, enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I just went down memory lane listening to that awesome song!! We must have had a Pam Tillis thing at the same time, because I remember that tape, and I remember wishing I could be her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember telling my dad I wanted to be a background dancer in a musical. He said, "Why don't you want to be the star of the movie?" And even then, I knew that would be far too much work.

    I also once told my dad I wanted to be a girl who "danced with cowboys" in a saloon, like in Western movies. That didn't pan out either.

    ReplyDelete