Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hi, my name is Abbie and I might be a...

Leslie. Crystal.

I have bad news. Bad, bad, terrible, the worst news. Bad.

I just found out something about myself. I found out...that...I...might...be...a...PESSIMIST!!

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HAPPY!! WHY ME?!?! I'M SUCH A HAPPY PERSON!!!

I know. I know. I KNOW.

(I've also been called dramatic, but I do NOT believe that. I am NOT dramatic.)


Can I tell you how I found out? Well, I was chatting with a friend (I won't tell you who. Hint: her name rhymes with BLeslie.) and she was talking about pessimism and I thought to myself, self, aren't you glad you are such an optimist?

But evidence reared it's ugly head in a situation the next day.

Coney Island. Coney Island is so fun! It's so great! I loved every second of our visit (minus the glass in the sand). But would you know that the night before we went I was planning all sorts of terrible things that were going to happen to us? Like...

  • we were going to take the wrong train.
  • we were going to take too much stuff.
  • we weren't going to bring enough stuff.
  • we weren't going to get a seat on the train because it was going to be so crowded and have to stand for an hour and a half.
  • our kids were going to get crushed by the hot dog eating contest crowd.
  • someone was going to force me to eat a hot dog.
  • we weren't going to get a swinging seat on the Wonderwheel.
  • it was going to be too hot.
  • the kids were going to be too whiny.
  • we were going to contract an STD from the beach.
  • my husband was going to get eaten by a shark and leave me to raise our children alone.
  • my pictures were going to be horrible.
  • and I was probably going to start my period and not have a tampon.

You get the picture. It was obviously going to be the worst day of our entire lives.
But.
It turned out to be a SUPER PLUS fun day.

But tomorrow, tomorrow is going to be the worst! I have a million errands to run and my car is definitely going to get stolen or break down. And the kids are going to throw a fit because I won't buy them candy. And I'll forget to buy everything I need. And I'll probably start my period and not have a tampon.

Ugh.

4 comments:

  1. ABBSTER!!! I remember this conversation well! It's alarming to find out you are a pessimist but now that you are diagnosed you can start the treatments. It involves cutting yourself a lot of breaks and being receptive to constant validation! Good luck with tomorrow, It sounds TERRIBLE!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah! Please let me write you another letter. This is the funnest thing I've done all year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure you get STDs from the subway, not the beach. Not that I would know, I guess. We don't have beaches OR subways in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep a tampon with you at all times! I'm pretty sure that is the root of all of your worries.

    ReplyDelete