Sunday, November 6, 2011

Subway Gropers

So, there has been all these pervert gropers running amuck in the subway lately. While riding the train on Friday and I was looking around at everyone as a person who probably wanted to grab specific parts of my anatomy.  I felt suspicious, I hated everyone, and I was on high alert.

(These are the grossers)


Then I got off the train and hurried up the stairs…but I tripped!  I was falling and I couldn’t stop!  I was about to eat disgusting subway floor when a man reached out grabbed my arm and saved my life!  I was so grateful! I felt like it I was in one of those Hallmark movies where I discover the true meaning of life and I love and reach out to every stranger I meet…Scratch that.  I don’t know a stranger because I believe we are all brothers and sisters.

 Fast forward to my trip home, I am so excited to get on the train with all my new best friends living together in the city.  An older gentleman sits across from me and he starts up a conversation.  Old Leslie would have ignored him.  NEW Awesome Leslie was excited to get to know this wise old gentleman that probably had a lot to teach her.   

He was hard to understand, I figured this was because of his strong Italian accent, but then he said something a little racist, and then he said something SUPER racist!  And then I realized the smell I was smelling was alcohol and a lot of it.  UGH!!!!  And all the suspicion and hate came back, and my alert meter went right back up to the highest level.   



I don’t know what I was supposed to learn from this experience, maybe nothing; maybe it’s just the ebb and flow of the city.  Interacting with humanity continually is tough and often emotional; I guess that the best I can hope for is that it is a kind person next to me when I inevitably trip again.

If you see something, say something,
 Leslie

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a mess! I'm glad an un-gropper was there when you fell! Stay on your gaurd out there, maybe you should take some karate classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it wasn't an un-groper, maybe it was an arm-groper that waits by the bottom of the stairs for the opportunity to grab falling people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meet weird people on the light rail sometimes! On 4th of July this kid sat across from us. Weirdly he reminded me of Brad. Until he invited Ty and I to a cross gender party! My kids were there too! I laugh about it to this day!

    ReplyDelete